I was at the asian store the other day and saw this big weird looking mushroom called Abalone Mushroom, so of course I bought it. I always try to cook with new things. I googled it once I got home and it’s apparently a type of oyster mushroom. I first sautéed the mushrooms to see what they tasted like and I loved them, they were fantastic. They are very meaty and earthy, but yet are mild in taste. Just delicious. We are trying to eat healthier so I decided to make a salad that would be quite satisfying, even as dinner.
- a bag of baby spinach
- 3 cut up hard-boiled eggs
- 1-2 cups of shredded carrots
- a handful of toasted almonds
- 1/4 cup of crumbled feta cheese (you could use some nice mild blue cheese as well)
For the mushrooms:
- mushrooms (1 big abalone mushroom or a package of oyster mushrooms)
- a touch of lemon or lime juice
- 4 cloves of garlic
- olive oil
- apple cider vinegar
- dried parsley and oregano
First cut up the mushroom and garlic and saute it in a pan until it gets nice and brown. Add salt and pepper and right before you are done cooking the mushrooms squirt a little lemon or lime juice on top. For some reason the juice brings out a great flavor of the mushrooms, but don’t put too much or it will kill the great taste. Combine the rest of the salad ingredients with the mushrooms. I just made a simple dressing because there is so much flavor in the salad that it shouldn’t over take it. Enjoy!